EXHIBITS > The nautical technology of the ancient Greeks >
The Cycladic-Minoan ship
It was an early, of exceptional perfection (oared- sailed), sea-going ship of mixed use, which distinguished Minoan Crete until 1500 BC as master of the seas. It had 42 wide oars and approximately 55 crewmen and reached 30 metres in length. The impressive captain's cabin, the kiosk of the oarsmen and the careful decorations on the prow and stern were its main characteristics that are emphasised particularly in the eminent mural of ships at the prehistoric settlement of Akrotiri in Santorini.